Banque Centrale de Tunisie
Tunisia played, through history, an important economic role. This importance is due, mainly, to the daring activity of its population and its geographical position as a crossroads of maritime ways between the two banks of the Mediterranean and terminus for the Saharan and Eastern trade.
This strategic importance in the international trade made the region a purpose of political conflicts with other powers.
Several historical eras marked the evolution of the Tunisian currency. The main ones are the following:
- Official Name: Republic of Tunisia
- Regime : Presidential
- President of Republic: Mohamed Moncef Marzouki
- Official language: Arabic
- Spoken languages: French (largely used), English and Italian
- Religion: Islam (existence of Jewish and Christian communities)
- Capital: Tunis
- Main cities: Tunis, Sousse, Sfax, Kairouan, Gabès, Bizerte.
- Surface: 163.610 km 2